Battersby Services

At Battersby Sports Ground Supplies, we aim to send out all orders out as soon as we can. To enable us to do this, please order by 2pm so the order can be despatched promptly. We cannot be held responsible for unforeseen delays from third party couriers. (Remote areas of the UK may take longer, or adverse weather conditions may cause unforeseen delays.)

There are certain restrictions and legislation that we must comply with
as we are sending out Pesticides. This all depends on the weight and
toxicity of the product we are sending. All packaging complies with the current legislation by showing the quantity, UN Numbers, Packing group and Class. As they are pesticides being sent by our ADR and limited quantity couriers, it is the explanation to why the shipping costs are more expensive compared to other packages.

Deliveries are calculated on the weight of your order. Up to 25 KGs
counts as one parcel. As a whole the UK will be charged £8.40 (incl VAT) up to 30Kgs/L, which will be delivered between 24-48 hours. However deliveries to the Scottish Highlands, Northern Ireland, Isle of Scilly and Isle of Man will be charged £10.90 incl VAT. You can check the
postage total, by adding your desired items to your basket and putting
your delivery address in. It will show you the delivery charge before
you commit to purchasing that order.

Yes we do bulk palleted deliveries on all products we stock and deliver all across the mainland UK. These delivery options and prices will automatically update for you upon checking out. If you have a more custom sized order requirement, Please get in touch with us via email

We have a skilled workforce who work, manage and advise a number of sporting, education and private establishments. We provide a whole host of affordable services that you can view here. Alternatively, you can email:

Yes, we require a credit/debit card to take payment and secure your order but we do have many options for you to pay for your order. You can choose click and collect and when you pick up your order from our trade counter, you may pay using your card, or cash. If you have any queries, please email

We do also allow payments via cheques and bank transfers however the products will not be despatched until the funds have cleared. If you are wanting to pay via bank transfer or cheque please contact us via email with your order number and contact details to: and a member of the team will contact you.

Yes, this will mean you are not charged a delivery charge. Select ‘Click and Collect’ when checking out.

Yes, our prices are very competetive. There is a reason why we have been
going over 180 years! We constantly monitor our competitors online and
offline to ensure our customers are not paying over the odds for product. We believe our prices are some of the most competitive on the market. Got a question? Just email;

Yes, we do trade accounts. Please email for more information.

Ground Preparation

You can find an all-year round treatment calendar and more at our knowledge base here.

You can find an all-year round treatment calendar and more at our knowledge base here.

You can find an all-year round treatment calendar and more at our knowledge base here.

You can find an all-year round treatment calendar and more at our knowledge base here.

You can find an all-year round treatment calendar and more at our knowledge base here.

Technical & Legal Notices

Yes, we have trained and knowledgable individuals as part of our team.
So should you have any query regarding a product or problem, email

By law, everyone who uses pesticides professionally must have received adequate training in using pesticides safely and be skilled in the job they are carrying out." Upon purchasing this product you and/or the end users are responsibile for ensuring that these products are used in line with industry Approved Codes of Practice. All operators must be trained and certificated in using and applying any Ministry Approved Professional Product (MAPP). Use plant protection products safely.
Always read the label and product information before use.

Please be aware that by proceeding you are purchasing a professional
pesticide product. You must ensure the end user of these products
complies with the DEFRA/HSE Code for the Safe use of Pesticides. There
are legal responsibilities covering the storage and use of professional
use pesticides. These responsibilities are covered by The Food and
Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) and Control of Pesticide
Regulations 1986 (COPR).

Purchasers may be required to register details or to set up accounts for future purchases inline with our terms and conditions aiding our age verification checks. In some circumstances, it may not be possible to verify a potential purchaser's age to conclude an online order. Battersby Sports Ground Supplies may require the customer to provide a valid / acceptable proof of age, which can then be appropriately checked.

Click & Collect in-store
For some customers who choose our collect in-store option, age verification may be carried out by members of staff, as for a normal
face-to-face transaction.

Age Verficiation on Delivery
Age verification checks at the point of delivery may take place by ensuring that delivery drivers request valid proof of age to confirm
that the purchaser is over the minimum age to buy the product in
question. Should the customer be unable to provide acceptable or valid
proof of age, the delivery driver is within their right to refuse
delivery and return the goods back to depot. Should this occur,
Battersby Sports Ground Supplies management will seek to speak to the customer directly to solve the issue. Battersby Sports Ground Supplies may seek to recover delivery expenses first incurred, with the customer liable for all re-delivery fees.

Pesticides on a whole don’t have a sell by date. However once they are
opened, they must be kept away from frost and cold adverse weather
conditions, but then they should last for a number of years. Some pesticides lose the approval for use, so if you haven’t used them for a
long time you should first check, to make sure they have not lost their
approval for use as carrying on using them would not be permitted. You
can also contact us via email  and we can give you advice too. Storing a
pesticide that you have mixed and diluted will start to reduce efficiency over a period of time. So we recommend mixing the correct
amount of product that you need to carry out a certain job, and also
mixing the pesticides as close as possible to actually carrying out that
particular job to ensure that you get the maximum results.

The dilution rates for all pesticides are on the product labels, and must always be read first before use. If you are at all uncertain, please seek professional advice.

  • Children & Pets
    It’s normal to keep children and pets away from sprayed or worked areas until the product has completely dried or absorbed. Once dry or absorbed and there are no signs of the product usage, it is generally safe for pets and children to go back and use the treated area.
  • Chickens, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, Geese, Puppies & Chickens
    It is strongly advisable to contact us if applying pesticides in areas
    where the above animals will be using. We can then get in touch with the manufacture of that product, so we get the correct advice to yourselves.
  • Grazing Animals
    Always read the product label first. Exclusions of grazing animals such
    as horses and sheep vary from product to product. If you are unsure still after reading the product label, email: and we will more than happy to help.

No, you do not need a certificate of
competence to purchase a professional pesticide such as weed killer. Anybody is able to purchase them. However the individual that applies a pesticide professionally must have a National Proficency Test Council qualification. However if that individual is working within ‘sight and
sound’ of a person who has that particular qualification. For example,
for knapsack spraying it would require a PA1, PA6 (City of Guilds or
Lantra NPTC Qualification) For boom spraying it would require PA1, PA2
(City of Guilds or Lantra NPTC Qualification).
Should you have any specific queries on what qualification you may require don’t hesitate by emailing us on

For use of a professional use product, the user must have a recognised certificate of competence or be working under the direct supervision of someone who has such a certificate.

Products that are authorised for amateur (home garden) use do not
require the user to be trained if used by gardeners in the home garden.

  • Applying it as a service
    If you are applying pesticides, weed killers, fungicides (Plant Protection Products, PPPs) as part of a service on someone else’s land you need to have an appropriate NPTC certificate of competence or be working in sight and sound of an appropriately qualified person. This is also the case if you are using non-professional products.
  • Applying under Grandfather Rights (born before 31st December 1964)?
    If you were born before 31st Dec. 1964 you can apply professional use pesticide on your own land under Grandfather Rights. However from 26th November 2015, this will expire and you will need a relevant certificate of competence to continue to apply professional pesticides.

    The certificate of competence you can work under can either be the Grandfather Rights Certificate conversion certificate “Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides Replacing Grandfather Rights” or the
    appropriate NPTC – PA1, PA2, PA6 awarded by City & Guilds or Lantra.

    Please note a Grandfather’s Right conversion certificate will only allow you to continue to use professional pesticides on your own land. If you wish to apply pesticides to another person’s land you will need to have the appropriate NPTC – PA1, PA2, PA6 certificates from City & Guilds for Lantra.
  • Applying to my own land?
    Born after 31st Dec. 1964 – You must have the relevant NPTC
    certificate of competence to apply a professional use product to your
    own land. This may vary according to the product you are applying and the application method for example:

    Knapsack spraying would require a PA1, PA6 – City and Guilds or Lantra – NPTC qualification.

    Boom sprayer application (mounted or trailed) would require a PA1, PA2 – City & Guilds or Lantra – NPTC qualification.

    Born before 31st Dec. 1964 – you can still operate under Grandfather Rights up until 26th November 2015.